I will be the first to admit that I do not keep up with US laws as they come and go, but this one is a real shocker. Apparently in late September of 2004, a law went into affect that not only makes importation of Cuban merchandise (including cigars) illegal, but EVEN buying them abroad is illegal. I am speechless. This is the stupidest waste of time I have seen since the $12 million sting operation to arrest Tommy Chong (of Cheech and Chong fame) and 55 others for selling glass pipes.
I am not going to go into all the other things that US Government should be doing, because we all know what is going on, rather I am going to ask a few questions. Drop your morality here, and just think legally:
- Is having sex with a prostitute in Canada illegal for a US citizen?
- Is smoking a marijuana cigarette in Amsterdam illegal for a US citizen?
- Is drinking a beer at age 16 in Austria illegal for a US citizen?
- Is consensual sex with a 15 year old in the Czech Republic illegal for a US citizen (not from South Carolina)?
- Is driving 100 mph in the United Arab Emirates (where they allow it) illegal for a US citizen?
The "land of the free" needs to look the word "free" up in the dictionary, because that "freedom" is the rationale they use to send the "brave" into battle. Let us smoke in peace.
Oh, how unfortunate of the U.S. citizens....ReplyDelete
President Bush doesn't seem to think like JFK...or does he? Maybe he can invoke to the executive privilege so that he himself can smoke. :(
I still somewhat like him, though.... It's not that I always agree with him.
I've been smoking cigars for five years now. I may come back to your blog in the future.